Friday 5 March 2010

National Career Guidance Show

I attended the second of this two day conference at the Emirates Stadium in North London. With a range of organisations hawking their wares and a plethora of speakers in the seminar areas upstairs, the event was a great success. Aside of course from the ludicrous catering costs which saw my colleague somewhat confusedly hand over in excess of £10 for a small tub of wedges, a wrap and some instant coffee.


A great opportunity for networking and information gathering, the one key message I came away with and the real reason for my fledgling attempts at a blog is quite a simple one. Social networking and web logging are uniquely powerful tools in propagating and improving CEIAG.

Having just tentatively dipped my toe into this online pool I have discovered that there is in fact a torrent of information, tools, support and ideas available for us all. In fact even glancing now at my new twitter account I have seen a post from someone attending the ICT in CEIAG conference where they state that “Quality Choice & Aspiration says we need to reach young people with soc[ial] networking: why won’t senior management in IAG allow it?”.

The case for social networking for careers professionals was eloquently put forward by Tristram Hooley http://adventuresincareerdevelopment.posterous.com/ at the show. I can safely say I am a convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment